Population: 22.9 million (UN, 2012)
Largest city: Sydney
Area: 7.7 million sq km (2.9 million sq miles)
Major language: English
Major religion: Christianity
Life expectancy: 80 years (men), 84 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Australian dollar = 100 cents
Main exports: Ores and metals; wool, food and live animals; fuels, transport machinery and equipment
GNI per capita: US $49,790 (World Bank, 2011)
International dialing code: +61
Advantages of Studying in Australia
- Australian education is accepted worldwide for awarding recognized qualifications.
- Low course fees and low cost of living comparatively with other popular countries.
- Advantage of living in multicultural society while gaining English proficiency.
- While studying eligible to work up to 20 hrs per week and full time during summer holidays.
- If married possibly of accompanying spouse and children.
- Spouse is eligible for 20 hrs work per week and full time duration vacation up to Degree level, for post graduate programs eligible for full time work permit.
- Those who have completed a Bachelor degree or masters by course work are eligible to apply for a two year post study work visa for 3 or 4 years respectively.
- Students are protected by Australian National Code.
Australia is an independent Western Democracy. It is one of the world’s most urbanized countries with about 70 % of the population living in the 10 largest cities and it is a unique and diverse country in every way – in culture, population, climate, geography and history. In land area Australia is the sixth largest nation and the driest inhabited continent on earth and its interior has the lowest rainfall in the world. However, it is ranked the smallest of the world continents. It is also the lowest, flattest and driest apart from Antactica. The highest point on the Australian mainland is Mount Koseiuszko N.S.W at 2228 metres above sea level. The lowest point is the dry bed of lake Cyre South Australia which is 16 meters below sea level. Nearly Australia land mass is classified as dessert, rainfall across Australia is also variable. The country measures some 4,000 Km. East to West and 3,200 KM North to South. Much of the interior of the country is flat, country’s size. Although this is 5% of the world’s land mass, the country is the sixth largest after Russia, Canada, China, the U.S.A and Brazil. It is also the only one of the largest six nations that is, completely surrounded by water.
Australia’s Lifestyle reflects Western origins but there exists multicultural society which has been enriched by over six million settlers from almost 200 nations. Capital city is Canberra. Sydney and Melbourne are adjudged the Business Cities. The other state and territory Capital cities are as follows: